Shabbat Shalom

Shabbat Shalom from Callie (and Devin)


Dear Family,

Devin had to guard the base this Shabbat, so he asked me to write this week's letter. First I'd like to note that Devin called several minutes ago and informed me that he had sprained his wrist during a wrestling lesson today. He needs prayer for healing since these next few days of training will be very vital to fulfilling is responsibilities in the Army.

Yesterday Devin dictated a brief thought, as we spoke on the phone, regarding his time as a guard in the army and how this is building his character for the next season of life we are coming into. He compares guarding a base to being a husband and father:

"When you're guarding over a family it doesn't matter how exhausted or how preoccupied you are, or what mood you are in. It doesn't matter if any one is watching you to make sure you are doing it right. It's a responsibility you've been given and one you've taken upon yourself. It needs to be done with diligence. This doesn't have to be restricted to being a husband and father, but it also applies to everyone's walk with the Lord. As believers we have been given a gift of salvation and we've taken salvation upon ourselves. We need to remember the responsibilities of our salvation, and then guard them with diligence."

It's these very responsibilities that give us greater kinds of freedom than we'd have with out them. Devin's wisdom brings to mind a season I went through last fall. Prior to the sparkly ring, I was working hard to find a job in Jerusalem for my winter internship, but I was caught in this terrible struggle. I wasn't finding any work in the land that suited my architectural interests, and I was by-passing good opportunities in America in order to work here in the land. My emotions were so torn during that season. After we became engaged, the Lord gave me revelation as to what I was going through. Somewhere in my heart, I felt as though I was laying down dreams for a relationship with an unknown end. Even as honorable as Devin's intentions were towards me, I was still resisting making great sacrifices with only the commitment of "dating." Honestly, that's not a wrong concern for a young woman to have, especially in a culture that tells us to be maximally vulnerable before marriage (the trend towards co-habitation), and then withhold protectively afterwards (can anyone say "pre-nup?"). Devin honored me by proposing. After we became engaged, that concern disappeared, and I was more than willing to only look for internships in Israel. The responsibility he took upon himself through his promise of love and marriage released my heart to freely lay down more than a few worldly desires. Ahhhh…. I love him. Sigh!

Just as Devin's proposal freed my heart to easily sacrifice my individual goals for ones we are now building together in the Lord, this season of daily living in Jerusalem is a calling in my life to take up responsibility with Devin. If we were in Jerusalem together it would be easy for me to rely on him too heavily, and not learn for myself the inner workings of Israeli life. As we are spending time apart, Devin just outside of Gaza, and me in Jerusalem, I'm in a position to rely on the Lord in my day to day outings in the Land. Through His strength I'm learning to be independent; buying groceries, going to the post office, navigating bus routes, and taking the initiative to build friendships on my own. This is laying a strong foundation for our life together after marriage. All of the knowledge I'm gaining by living in Jerusalem without Devin near by will free him to be in his calling when we are together. I'll be much more capable of helping him accomplish day to day tasks, therefore allowing us to grow into a position of being better teammates in ministry after we're able to fully cleave to each other in marriage. Do remember to pray for me while Devin and I are apart during the week. Shabbat Shalom!

Love,
Callie (and Devin)

Comments

Popular Posts