Tiny Hands, Pocket Change, and the Black Drawstring Bag

God's blessing of provision has been one of the lessons of the baby season. I've said again and again to friends, "God loves babies" and He seems to constantly remind me of this truth -- a truth I have soaked up through my heart for Natural Family Planning.* As I've studied the natural processes of the body, and scripture about children and family, the Lord has deepened my understanding of His purpose for marriage and the creation of life. He loves marriage, and He loves babies. He loves them enough to manifest resources out of thin air, to make ends meet for families on a tight budget. The voice of this age says children are an inconvenience, and an expense, an unwanted consequence to human sexuality; but His word speaks of these little ones as a blessing, source of wealth, and an inheritance. He reminded me of this, yet again, through an interesting set of circumstances the other day.

Before Devin and I got married… before we became engaged… well, actually, before we even met… I had a dream about us, rich with what I believe to be prophetic symbolism. In the dream, we were in our apartment (yes, the one we live in today), and we were praying together for God's financial provision. When we opened our eyes, our apartment was full of money! It was all in the form of pocket change, and it was hidden in places like couch cushions, corners, and window sills. As we gathered the coins, we realized it was international currency from nations all over the world! We picked up the coins, of all shapes, sizes, and colors, and placed them in black drawstring bags.

When I awakened, I wondered if I would marry this man in Israel -- this man whom I had never met. I wondered if we would share a calling to the nations, trusting God to be our provider.

Well, we did marry and we've seen financial and material miracles, but traveling outside of Israel has been slow to manifest, at least for me! Devin has had opportunities to teach internationally, but with Aviel's arrival, certain doors for me to travel with Devin closed. It was a struggle to not be bitter towards the elders on the ministry board Devin works with when they shared that I couldn't go to Scotland because of the baby. They knew it was the land of my roots and we had been talking about this trip for quite some time; however, their wisdom proved to be justified in the end. I wasn't able to leave the country for eight months after Aviel's birth, due to the beurocratic complications that caused a lack of birth certificate, thus preventing us from getting him a passport. If we had purchased tickets, I would not have been able to go. It was hard to trust their decision but it was the Lord's leading.

Over the last few months, my heart has been crying out to the Lord about doing doing ministry outside of Israel, in Asia, Africa, Europe- somewhere please! I've had a desire to travel and serve with my husband some. I've been concerned that as more babies come, these opportunities will be harder and harder to come by. And selfishly, I've wondered if I would ever again get to share in the adventure, or if I'd always be sending Devin off while I stayed at home with the babes.

The Lord gave me a great peace about this a few days ago, through the actions of my toddler son while we were visiting Devin's mom and several friends at an apartment down the street. It started while watching little Aviel as he played with his matchbox cars on the couch. Lately he has enjoyed lifting up cushions and rolling the cars on the surface they rest on. On this particular occasion, Aviel lifted up the cushion and found a half euro! Then he found 5 shekels under another… and another half euro under the next cushion! Earlier in the evening, Savta (Hebrew for Grandma) had given him a frisbee that came in a little black bag. He took these three coins, found the black drawstring bag, placed them inside and pulled it shut!

As I watched this whole scenario take place, the peace of God flooded my heart. Here was Aviel, doing exactly what I had dreamed about doing with his father several years earlier. I realized that our child was part of the prophetic fulfillment of what the Lord had shown me before I even knew this man who would become my husband. I should not fear that doors would be closed because of my children, but trust that their tiny hands might very well be used to open doors to blessings and callings in my life. By investing in my child, my children, I am investing in God's promises.


Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; they will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate. Psalm 127: 3-5


It will come about after this that I will pour out My Spirit on allmankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, Your old men will dream dreams, Your young men will see visions. Joel 2:28


*I always feel like its necessary to offer a little disclaimer because this is a sensitive and personal matter. Though we feel called to NFP, and are both amazed and inspired by the entire process, we also believe that all non-abortificiant forms of birth control are permissible at the prayerful discretion of each individual couple.




related posts:
Fill the Earth
Start Your Family
Get Married

Comments

Popular Posts