The Cushie Files: Upcoming Surgery



Dear Friends and Family,


Back in July, I was officially diagnosed with a very rare condition called Cushing's Disease.  This is a condition where high levels of cortisol are released in the body, causing all sorts of problems, and it is caused by a tumor on the pituitary or other adrenal glands.  I'd rather not type out a long explanation, so if you want to know more, check out the Cushing's Connection site.   

After months and months of blood tests, CT's, an MRI and a wild procedure called an IPSS exam,  doctors were able to locate a tumor on my pituitary gland.  Well, it has to come out!  That means I will be having a surgery, which is scheduled for this coming up Tuesday, Sept 17, 2013. 

The surgery will be performed by a Neuro Surgeon here in Israel.  I'll be headed to Tel HaShomer, which is in the Tel Aviv area.  He will do a procedure called an Endoscopic Transsphenoidal Surgery, entering through my nose and sinus cavity, then drilling a small hole in my skull in order to access the tumor on my pituitary gland.  I've heard some people call this a "drive through brain surgery." I'm not sure if that comforting or not!  I'll spend two nights in the hospital afterward, then I'll be in recovery at home for probably about three weeks.  My hormones should hopefully self regulate overtime. 

It has been a long journey to diagnose this condition.  Only about 25 cases are diagnosed in the United States every year, so you can imagine that there are even fewer in Israel!  The Lord has been with me this entire time, providing some pretty amazing opportunities to share His love and His word in the hospital, and He's whispered some beautiful secrets into my heart.  I love Him and trust Him through this, and I can see His great love for me as we've walked this out together. 

I could certainly use your prayers and support in the coming days.  Please pray for an easy, uncomplicated surgery, and for a full recovery! 

I hope to give you all a good report soon! 

Love and Blessings,

Callie

Resources:
The Cushings Connection
The Balancing Act:  Cushing's Syndrome  (This is a short video)


Related Posts (all of these share tid bits of my Cushie journey):
The Cushie Files:  Do the Things You Did at First
Biblical Eats:  Rumbling, Grumbling, or Humbling
Biblical Eats:  The Raven and the Hopeless Widow
The Beauty of Chagal Windows for Hospital Ashes
Excuse Me... Where You Born Jewish?

Comments

Popular Posts